Huge demand for Spanish wine exports driven by bulk wine
The huge demand for Spanish wine, driven by an average value of only €1.10 a litre, has seen an enormous increase its exports during 2015.
New export figures show that Spanish wine exports were up on 2014 by 168 million litres in volume. A large proportion (58%) of this was shipped in bulk.
The average price per litre is highly competitive around the world when you consider Australian wine exports were trading for the same period averaged $2.78 a litre, according to the Key Report.
In total Spanish wine volume and value figures were in 2015:
- Spain volume: 2396 million litres
- Spain value: €2.64 billion
- The value figure would arguably be lower if it were not for the strong trading in China, Japan and the UK.
- Spanish bottled wines accounted for 33% of all Spanish wine exports in volume, and 61% in value.
- Bulk wine was 20% in value and 58% of volume.